14 October 2014
Yorkshire inspirational speaker reaches national final
A Yorkshire based inspirational speaker reached the finals of the Professional Speaking Association’s (PSA) national competition ‘Speaker Factor’ at the weekend.
Gina Battye of Gina Battye Ltd reached the final five as she impressed judges with her speech on how to become healthier and happier, addressing a room of 200 professional speakers.
Speakers from all over the globe attended the national competition, including the UK, the United States, Germany, Sweden, Holland and South Africa, as well as the president of The Global Speakers Federation. It was held during the PSA’s annual conference at the Cumberland Hotel in Marble Arch, London on 10-12th October.
The competition consists of 11 regional heats which took place from April – September 2014, and one winner from each was chosen to go through to the semi-finals. The semi-finals were held on the opening evening of the conference and five were chosen to represent the regions at the finals the following day.
Gina entered the semi-finals on a wildcard entry. She came second in the Leeds regional heats in June 2014, but the winner of the regional heat was unable to make it to the semi-finals so Gina was asked to step in to fill their place.
Gina said: “Improving my speaking skills is really important to me and my business. Competitions like this enable me to address professionals in the industry and gain valuable feedback to hone my skills.”
“To enter the semi-finals on a wildcard was unexpected, but to then get to the finals was an incredible achievement. Speaking to 200 professional speakers was quite daunting but I felt really relaxed on stage and delivered the best presentation I have ever delivered! I was overwhelmed by the glowing feedback from the judges and the presidents and am looking forward to speaking on more stages in the future.”
The competition was judged by four highly acclaimed speakers within the speaking industry; Mike Ogilvie, Patricia Fripp, Simon Bucknall and Paul Du Toit. Judging for the competition was based on four main criteria: stage craft, script, delivery and bookability.
Eilidh Milnes, president of The Professional Speaking Association said: “There are only five places in the National Finals of PSA’s Speaker Factor and Gina Battye bagged one of them. Her presentation in front of 200 speakers was punchy, passionate and proficient. She was only pipped at the post to win the overall competition. The calibre of the finalists is a tremendous endorsement for the work PSA does to help people to speak better and speak more.”
Gina is available for interview.
For further information, contact Gina Battye, Gina Battye Ltd on
07880 502 172 or email email@example.com
Notes to Editors:
- Gina has broadcasting experience including TV and radio and is an expert speaker on subjects relating to nutrition, food, fitness, lifestyle, stress, balance and developing a positive spirit.
- Gina used to be a size 16. After being diagnosed with IBS, irritable bowel syndrome, she learnt everything she could to become healthier and happier. In the process, she released the weight she had being holding on to. Gina is now a size 6 and has no symptoms of IBS. She helps women all over the world to become healthier and happier by implementing simple tweaks and strategies.
- Gina is the best-selling author of ‘How to Beat the Biscuit Tin Blues.’
- Gina is founder of the worldwide Health & Happiness Movement.
- She was finalist for the Health Coach of the Year and Women’s Coach of the Year with the Association of Professional Coaches, Trainers & Consultants.
- Speaker Factor is the Annual Contest for Associate Members and Professional Members of the PSA during their first year of membership. Speaker Factor takes place during the Annual Convention. Regional heats are held around the country with each Region finding one winner to represent them. Each Regional winner enters the National Semi-Finals at the Convention for a place in the National Finals at the same Convention. There are only five places in the National Finals.