Following On From My BBC Radio Interview…
I was interviewed on BBC Radio today by Liz Green.
We chatted candidly about authenticity; what it is, what causes us not to show up as our real and true selves and the impact it is having on us as individuals, with those we spend our time with, in the workplace, in our communities and in the world.
As if that wasn’t deep enough, we also talked about being LGBT+; confusion on the terms used, the labels we give/are given and the impact this has on us, coming out, what it means to be trans and non-binary and the challenges LGBT+ individuals face in the workplace.
You know me, I love to go deep and keep it real!
You can listen to the full interview here:
I could have chatted forever to Liz, especially when we touched upon being non-binary and the challenges individuals face at work.
We didn’t have long to talk about the challenges individuals face at work, and I feel it is vital that you know this… so I want to share some of the key ones with you here.
Key Challenges LGBT+ Individuals Face At Work
- Bringing all of who they are to work, being their authentic self and expressing themselves fully
- Feeling comfortable to come out at work
- Talking to people in day to day life about being LGBT+
- Filling in forms with Male, Female only options. ArrrghhHH!
- Not able to update photo on ID badge/system as a trans individual is medically transitioning
- Unconscious bias
- Fear of exclusion at work
- Overlooked for promotions
- Evading questions about their private life
- Anxiety about being ‘outed’ at work
- Turning down business trips to countries where same-sex relationships are illegal OR cultural norms are overtly repressive/dangerous
- Reporting harassment, abuse etc – fear of ‘outing’ themselves
- Lack of connection/rapport/strained relationships with team members, managers, leaders
- Discrimination, harassment, bullying and/or stigma due to a lack of understanding
- Transitioning whilst at work. Many transgender individuals choose to leave their workplace to undergo their transition.
- The Gender Binary. Male/female language, roles, expectations are so ingrained in our culture, language and expression. For example: man/woman, businessman, chairman, ‘man the event’, manmade, manpower, Sir, working mother/father, she/her & he/him, Mr/Mrs/Miss.
- Transgender, non-binary & gender fluid individuals not coming to work in their preferred gender role.
- Lack of gender neutral bathroom facilities. Toilets without a sex assigned to the door are a clear sign that gender is a non-issue in an organisation…
- Incorrect use of pronouns and/or deadnaming – calling by birth name (and not wanting to appear awkward by correcting…)
- Feeling isolated
- Dealing with insensitive questions
- Conditioning and wonky beliefs about self. These instill in you ineffective behaviours, toxic desires and unhealthy emotional reactions – and are brought into the workplace…
Do you notice any of these issues within your workplace?
Have you or are you dealing with any of these challenges yourself?
I would love to hear from you.
In my world-renowned training programmes, I work super closely with your organisation to ensure you have the knowledge, training and skills to fully support your LGBT+ employees day to day with the challenges I mentioned above (and more…)
AND we work together to create a FULLY inclusive organisational culture, enabling everyone to be their authentic and true selves at work. Everyone, not just your LGBT+ employees.
If you want to find out more about the training and consultancy I offer for organisations around authenticity and LGBT+ inclusion, you can read more here:
If I leave this world having contributed positively to the mental health of the LGBT+ community (and others in the process), I’ll be very happy. That is my mission.
Here Are My Consultancy and Training Services for 2019
- My signature 12 month Authenticity Training Programme
- LGBT+ Leadership Development Programme
- One-Off Training Sessions: LGBT+ Inclusion, Bringing Your Whole Self To Work & Trans & Non-Binary Awareness.
Get in touch if this is on your 2019 agenda. I would be happy to support, train, guide you.
The Authenticity Pledge
I am calling forward individuals and businesses that want to show up more authentically (in their work and their life) to register their commitment to focus on the key areas that re-connect you to your authentic and true self.
A bit like the Plastic Pollution Pledge, but focused on Authenticity!
To Join The Authentic Self Pledge, register your details here:
About Gina Battye
Gina is a world-renowned Inclusion Consultant, Trainer and LGBT+ Coach for Fortune 500 companies and leading global organisations.
Specialising in Authenticity (bringing all of who you are to work), creating a FULLY inclusive organisational culture (enabling everyone to be their authentic and true selves at work) AND Transgender and Non-Binary training for your organisation (LGBT+ Inclusion) – Gina unleashes untapped potential within your workforce.
Gina is passionate about supporting leading global organisations create a culture where employees can be their authentic self in the workplace, where people can come to work and be their true self, feel celebrated, supported and as a result perform better.
Previous clients include GE, AstraZeneca, Bank Of America, BBC, ITV, Yorkshire Water, Coop, Barclays, Lloyds Banking Group, Experian, Vodafone, HBOS Plc.
Please email email@example.com to discuss your requirements.
Subscribe for more: Blog | Facebook | LinkedIn | Twitter | YouTube | Instagram | ITunes