BBC RADIO LEEDS – INTERVIEW WITH LIZ GREEN
I talk with Liz about my views on this and what needs to be in place BEFORE a retailer opens up their changing rooms to everyone.
Gender inclusive changing rooms are not new. Major retailers across the UK such as:
have been doing this for some time. Sadly, the policies don’t help if staff aren’t trained properly.
I think before we open up the changing rooms to be gender neutral, retailers need to consider:
- Gender neutral changing rooms need to be safe spaces.
- Retailers need to improve privacy in cubicles – have a lockable door instead of curtains.
- Safeguarding is key.
- A policy needs to be in place, including actions to be taken when safeguarding is breached.
- Consider rules for appropriate and inappropriate behaviour and display these clearly in the changing rooms.
- They need to be staffed at all times.
- Mandatory training needs to be provided for ALL staff.
- Inappropriate behaviour is challenged. Action is taken when the need arises.
It is all in the preparation.
Consider all this, then go for it.
I would love to see more gender neutral fitting rooms. And stores organised in a way other than by male/female sections!
What do you think? Should the UK have gender neutral changing rooms?
I’d love to know if:
provide MANDATORY, regular LGBT training for ALL staff. This is where the real change will occur.
Date: 18th November 2019
Station: BBC RADIO LEEDS 92.4 FM